Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hard Work in the Garden Begins to Pay Off


After several hours working in the garden this week, I am beginning to see results.


I found my paths again!


Break time. The rhododendrons are in full bloom.





Do you see the tulip-shaped leaves? This is a Tulip Poplar tree seedling. I will soon be moving this seedling to another bed and will wait until it is about three to four feet tall and then I will move it to its permanent spot in the yard. These trees grow quickly and they can reach 100 feet or more, so space is necessary for this Indiana native. And in case you are wondering, they do have tulip-shaped flowers this time of year.


We may not be able to see these azaleas from the street any more, but I can see them from my front porch.


Pat Austin English rose nestles under a butterfly bush.


Gertrude Jekyll English rose and Sarah Bernhardt peonies.


Nigella (love-in-a-mist). If you look closely, you can see the seed pod forming on the left. The burgundy stripes will become more pronounced as the seed pod matures.


A nice vignette in the garden.


The garden is taking shape.


If you recall, several weeks ago I cut back the flowering stalk of my 'Blushing Beauties' phal orchid. The new stalk is now starting to bloom.

No comments: