Thursday, June 12, 2008

An Asian Inspired Lunch

I have been missing my Chinese foods lately, but as most of the dishes prepared in restaurants are either chicken or cooked in the same oil as chicken, I have been going without. Enter my Asian and Chinese cook books. Today I decided to make some pepper beef for myself.


I have some dry white wine, canola oil, low-sodium soy sauce, red pepper flakes, a beef sirloin steak from Schwan's, onion, a garlic clove, red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Green bell peppers are immature bell peppers, so the they are not as sweet as red bell peppers.


Mix 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the grated garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes. Thinly slice the beef across the grain and cut into bite size pieces. Toss the meat in the soy sauce mixture and set aside.


Chop the bell peppers and the white onion into bite size pieces (about the same size as the meat pieces).

When working with red bell peppers, it is very important to carefully remove the white membrane and seeds as they are very hot, according to Sandra Lee. Um, except not. Silly Sandra Lee.


Now here is a trick I have learned: to store a cut bell pepper for future use, place a folded paper towel in against the cut side of the pepper and seal in a plastic bag. The paper towel will absorb the moisture from the bell pepper and will keep the pepper from turning to mush so quickly.


Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the meat, in batches, and cook till just barely pink in the center. Remove from the heat and set aside.


If needed, add more oil and add the peppers and the onion. Turn the heat down to medium and saute until crisp-tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.


Add 2 tablespoons white wine and 1/4 cup stir-fry sauce (I had none, so I added soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and a slurry of corn starch in water). Add the beef in and cook until the liquid reduces to a thin gravy.


And lunch is served.

Recommendations? I would only cook the meat on one side so that it doesn't overcook and get too tough and I will buy stir-fry sauce for the next time.

I also would recommend letting the finished dish sit for a few minutes in order to allow the flavors to fully meld.

No comments: