Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A New Car and a Sauce

Looky at what I finally got today! My new Honda CR-V, complete with moon roof, heated leather seats, dual-climate control and back-up sensors. Heck, I'm so happy right now that I am even willing to ignore all the months of angst that have led to this moment.


Yep, I've been craving my CR-V.

And now on to the food. If you will recall, a while ago I had made an Apple Farms BBQ Sauce. I had followed the recipe, except for the substitution of grated garlic clove for the garlic powder. Unfortunately, only I somewhat liked this sauce, and even I found it overwhelmingly and unapologetically and unrelentingly sweet. So, since I rather like the idea of an apple-based barbecue sauce, I decided to go back to the drawing board, er cook top. Now, how to add the much needed bite to the sauce?


For the second try I started with these ingredients:

1 cup applesauce

1 cup catsup

2 cups packed brown sugar

6 tablespoons lemon juice

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (oops, I seemed to have forgotten this ingredient today - note to self: PAY ATTENTION!)

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce


After simmering over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, I turned off the heat and allowed the sauce to cool for another 30 minutes before decanting.


My finished sauce, along with my 'new' discovery. Years ago, I had purchased this strange funnel in with a box full of Pyrex bowls at my grandmother's estate sale. I had never had a clue as to what this particular type of funnel could be used for. Obviously I have never canned or I would have known what this was. Yes, it is a canning funnel. The new ones are made of plastic or silicon or some other funky materials. This one is made of glass. I'm keeping it. My grandmother would be so proud.

So now I will have to see if this reincarnation works or if more work needs to be done.

No comments: