Monday, June 16, 2008

Another Day, Another Egg Breakfast

I trust you remember that my sadistic doctor has forbidden me from eating anything other than eggs for breakfast? Yes? Good. Well, as I absolutely loathe runny eggs, I am left with few options for egg dishes. And one can only eat so many variations of scrambled eggs, omelets (not-scrambled, scrambled eggs), fried eggs and hard poached eggs. In utter desperation, I came up with this variation of a breakfast hash. In my defense, recent research suggests that potatoes are a 'good' carbohydrate. Heck, I can live with that reasoning...


Heat olive oil and/or bacon joos (that's bacon fat those of us who are not Sandra Lee) in a small non-stick skillet. Just so you know, I usually use about 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and bacon joos. Once the pan is hot, add about 2 handfuls of frozen shredded hash browns (or 1 medium potato, shredded and drained). Press down and heat over medium-high heat until the bottom is golden brown.


Turn the potatoes over in the pan and turn the heat down a notch.


Crack 2 eggs over the hash browns and break the yolks (remember, I hate runny eggs). Season with salt and pepper at this point.






After the bottom has browned a bit (the eggs will not be set), carefully turn over in the pan. A large spatula will be very helpful here.
Turn the heat down yet another notch. Your patience will be rewarded.











And now the pseudo-hash is ready for consumption. Not bad for someone who can barely make coffee in the morning before she has had her coffee. If there ever was a paradox in life...




1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Good hash browns, Mar.