Monday, June 9, 2008

Impromptu Dinner for Two

As any wife and mother of teenagers can tell you, it is a lot of hard work trying to plan and cook dinner for several different individuals who may or not be home for dinner on any given evening. Which brings me to today: my daughter wasn't sure until late that she would not be home for dinner as she had to go to football practice. She is still a manager for her high school football team, even though she will be a college sophomore this fall. And then there was my husband. Would today finally be the day I would get to pick up my new car? After all, my husband only "bought" (well, okay, got the paperwork started) my new vehicle (a Honda CR-V) last Monday. But no, they didn't have the color or even the second or third color car I wanted and now, a week later, they are still waiting on the accessories that I wanted. So this has left me supremely frustrated. I have no car, as my dear husband decided to sell his car before I got my new one. I am car-less. Did I mention that I am not amused? Good. Remember that. The only upside that I can see right now is that somehow the dealership managed to get a hold of one of the few elusive vehicles in the color I really wanted. Now, if I could only get the car...

Any way, since I didn't know until late this afternoon who was going to be where for what, I was having trouble planning dinner (and that little problem of not being able to go out to buy food). So this is what I settled on for my husband and myself:







I have 2 Beef Sirloin steaks from Schwan's, vegetable stock, black pepper, salt and unsalted butter. Later, chopped fresh rosemary, chopped onion and a splash of dry white wine would be added.



Here, the steaks sear over medium-high heat in olive oil. The steaks have been seasoned with the salt and pepper



When the steaks are finished cooking, they are removed to a plate and covered with foil to rest.

Now I add the vegetable stock, white wine, onion, rosemary and butter to the hot pan.


Now, why does this picture remind me of The Scream?


Allow to simmer and reduce for a few minutes before moving to a bowl for service.



And this was our hastily put-together meal. The sirloin steaks and the sauce, roasted corn on the cob (also from Schwan's) and left-over baked beans.



And did I mention that at the very last moment I decided to chop up more fresh rosemary to top my corn on the cob? Now, please excuse me while I dig in. Really, don't you have your own dinners to eat?

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

OOOOOhhhhh, Golly. The SCREAM!!!
Beautiful.

Rosie Hawthorne said...

So much ANGST!!!