Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday Stir Fry

My husband had a meeting this evening, so that meant that I got to cook foods that I like but he doesn't. Works for me. Tonight I made stir fry for dinner.

Here are some of the ingredients for the meal. Assembled are butterflied pork chops, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, low-sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, ginger, garlic, scallion, celery, red onion, snow peas, broccoli and carrots.



I keep the ginger in the freezer and cut off a piece when I need some. This time I used Rosie Hawthorne's suggestion to nuke the ginger so that the juice can easily be squeezed out.
I grated some of the garlic clove for the marinade. Soy sauce, rice vinegar sweet chili sauce, sesame seeds and sesame oil were also mixed in. A bit of honey finished off the marinade.

Remember, most of the work in making a stir fry is in the prep. The veggies were cleaned and chopped. The meat was trimmed and cut before being drenched in the marinade.



I wanted to make a different finishing sauce, so I got out a jar of orange marmalade and added that to some soy sauce, the remaining grated ginger and garlic. Many thanks to Rosie Hawthorne for the idea for this sauce.



Once all of the prep was finished, it was time to start cooking. First, some canola oil was heated in a 12" non-stick skillet. Then the red onions, carrots and celery were added to the hot pan.




The broccoli florets, snow peas and the white part of the scallion (green onion) were added after a few minutes.





Once again I listened to Rosie Hawthorne and added a bit of water to allow the veggies to briefly steam. The veggies were then removed from the heat and set aside. More canola oil was added to the pan so it could heat before cooking the meat.




I cooked the marinated pork in batches so that they would sear rather than steam.




Once the last batch of meat was cooked, everything was returned to the pan and heated through.




The pork stir-fry was plated along with some rice and the orange sauce. Chopped green scallions were scattered on top.





This was a tasty and easy meal.
Thanks, Rosie, for the excellent ideas for making my stir fry better!



1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

You're welcome, dear. Glad I could be of assistance.