Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Sweet Smell of Success
I promised that I would try again to make a good yeast dough and after cleaning the bathroom and starting the laundry this morning, I went into the kitchen for yet another round of the yeast dough vs. Marilyn. Who won? Read on to find out.


After last weekend's less than successful pizza attempt, I decided that I should start at the beginning and make a basic yeast dough this time. I found a promising recipe for Basic Yeast Dough in The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook.

Here I have one packet of active dry yeast, one cup warm (105-115 degrees) water, one large egg, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons shortening and 3 to 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour.


Stir the yeast into the warm water. I use a digital thermometer to ensure I have the right temperature for the water. Set aside for a few minutes.


Meanwhile, I blend the sugar, salt, egg, shortening and half the flour in a large bowl. My poor old hand mixer was struggling, so I switch to manually mixing the dough.

Once the yeast has bloomed, I combine with the other ingredients and gradually add the remaining flour until I have a soft dough.


Turn the dough into a greased bowl and cover.



I like Rosie Hawthorne's idea of heating a wet towel in the microwave before placing the bowl on the hot towel. Close the door and allow to rise until doubled in volume.




The directions say to poke the dough and when the indentation remains, the dough is ready for the next step.





Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board and knead ten times. At this point I have the choice of making rolls, cinnamon bread, or Cheese Crescents. I chose to make the Cheese Crescents.
Additional ingredients needed are 3 tablespoons melted butter and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.




The directions for Cheese Crescents say to roll the dough out into a 12 inch circle. Bet you didn't know I even owned a rolling pin. Just because I had to dig it out of a closet and clean the cobwebs off it...



The dough is at the prescribed 12 inch diameter.




I brush 2 tablespoons melted butter (unsalted, please) on the crescent round.



I decide to only put grated Parmesan cheese on half the crescent round. The other half will be plain so sweet toppings can be added if desired.



I dip a pizza cutter in flour before using it to cut the circle in to 12 wedges.



Tightly roll the wedges, starting at the wide end.



Place the crescents on a greased baking sheet, leaving plenty of room to allow for rising. Tuck the points of the rolls under.


Allow the rolls to rise in a warm place until they double in volume.



Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Brush the tops with more melted butter after the rolls come out of the oven.



And we have a winner, folks! I win! What's my prize?


3 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Bravo!

Kathy said...

Well Marilyn, just a couple days ago I got my shiny new KitchenAid mixer from the nice UPS man. I am getting up my nerve to do just what you are doing. Yeast bread is my next bucket list item.

Marilyn said...

Good luck, Kathy. My daughter so wants a pink KitchenAid stand mixer.

I guess I should have added yeast bread to my bucket list, too.