Monday, November 17, 2008

Eggs-travaganza

Some of you may be wondering if my darling daughter does any of the cooking here. Why yes, she does. But only certain items and only when she wants to. For instance, she loves what we call Egg-in-Hole and she will often make that for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I guess that is better than her usual bowl of popcorn or ice cream that she will have when she has to make her own food.


First the daughter cuts a hole in a slice of bread with a biscuit cutter. She then butters one side of the bread. Meanwhile a bit of oil in a pan heats on the stove. Place the bread, butter-side down, in the pan. The piece that was cut out is also put in the pan to fry. Then an egg is cracked and poured into the hole.

My daughter pokes the yolks so they cook faster. Salt and pepper season the food.


Looks like she let this cook just a bit long. Don't worry, she'll happily eat it.


All right. I've kept the poor girl from her lunch long enough.


And now on to my egg-cellent story.



One good thing about only being allowed to eat eggs for breakfast is that I have gotten very good at making omelets. Here I have two eggs, green onion, salt, pepper, a tablespoon of water in the measuring cup and sharp cheddar cheese.
I like to take the eggs out of the refrigerator an hour or so before I want to make my omelet. Room temperature eggs whip up better than cold eggs.
I've also had to switch from using packaged grated cheese because I can taste the stuff they put on the cheese to keep it from clumping back together. Yuck.


Carefully stir the eggs until the yolks begin to blend into the whites. If you try to stir too vigorously beforehand, the eggs will slop out of the measuring cup. Salt and pepper to taste and start whisking. If you click on the picture, you will see that the volume is at 125 ml.



After a few minutes of whipping air into the eggs, the mixture is now about 225 ml.
While whisking, heat the oil in an omelet pan over medium-high heat and saute the chopped green onion.



Gently pour the eggs into the pan.



Allow to briefly set before pulling up the edges and allowing the top to run under.




Since I don't like my eggs runny, I flaunt tradition by flipping the omelet.




I've gotten pretty good at the fancy chef flip. The trick is to believe that you can do it. If you hesitate, the flip trick won't work.



Now I turn the heat down to medium and grate some cheese on top. In just about a minute, the omelet is ready to be slid onto a plate and folded over.



What can I say? Light, fluffy and easy.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I flove eggs in a hole. Big time.