Friday, November 7, 2008

I See Trees

My dear husband asked if I'd like to go for a drive this past Sunday. Of course I would. It was a beautiful day and the fall colors are just gorgeous. I grabbed my camera and we set off for places unknown.



I can see my house from here! Well, not really, but I can see trees...


My husband was given orders to mainly drive north and west so I could have back-lit pictures. This time of year you want to shoot away from the sun so the colors pop.

Sumacs in fall color.




I am beginning to love autumn.





I'm really not sure where we were most of the time, but it was beautiful.


I don't think I could find my way back to some of these places if I tried. Most of the roads were not marked, so I don't even know what roads we were on. We even found some one-lane roads and a gravel road with signs warning to stay away when flooded.




I love the hills of southern Indiana.





The trees with the whitish bark are American Sycamores. Most have already lost their leaves by now.






Can you see the trees?




You know you are in for a ride when the road has the word 'Hollow' in it. That usually means a narrow, winding road that rides the ridges and dips into the hollows. And it's a very good idea to stay on the road. Some of those drop-offs are doozies.





Oak sapling in color.




One of the many creeks we crossed on our journey.




Oh, look. Another creek.



Isn't this just gorgeous?
Now, I want you to remember that all of these pictures were taken from a car and most of the times the car was in motion as I was snapping pictures.
Hope you enjoyed the ride.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Pretty pictures!

CarolynA said...

Beautiful! (Wouldn't have known they were "in motion")

I love the leaf-turning time of the year, even in the city. It's a delight to drive down a street and look ahead at the canopy of amazing multiple colors.