Sunday, November 16, 2008

Simply Tuna Salad

My husband asked me to make some tuna salad for lunch on Sunday. I informed him that he would also be getting seafood for dinner, but as long as he didn't mind having seafood twice in one day, I would gladly make the tuna salad. Besides, this would give me the opportunity to document the creation of this simple dish. I actually learned this recipe from a cooking segment on my local station's noon news show when I was a teenager. As tuna salad was not something my mother had ever made, I was intrigued and eagerly prepared this dish for the family. Now this recipe, with a few tweaks of my own, is a favorite of my own family.






Here are the ingredients for my tuna salad: celery, red onion, mayonnaise, two eggs, sweet pickle relish and chunk light tuna. My husband doesn't like to have too many fillers in his tuna salad, so I have to go lightly on the non-tuna ingredients.


The original recipe calls for the eggs to be hard-boiled, then peeled and chopped. I discovered that I could poach the eggs in my microwave and then chop them, resulting in a similar texture and saving time and effort. It is important to poke the yolks to prevent explosions while they cook.


Ah, and now the reason I hesitate to make tuna salad more often shows up. The tuna isn't even out of the package yet and Midnight is already underfoot. I have learned to open the tuna at the very end to avoid even more trouble.



After the eggs have been hard-poached (is that even a term?), I chop them. Be careful as they are still hot at this point.



A couple of tablespoons of diced red onion, one teaspoon pickle relish (feel free to add more to taste), one rib of diced celery and the chopped eggs are combined.



Mix with enough mayonnaise to suit your preference.



Okay, the tuna is finally out and the package has been cut open so the cat can lick the foil. At least he's out of the way - for now.



Mix in the tuna and add more mayonnaise if needed.




We like to eat our tuna salad on crackers. Uh oh, here comes the cat...


No comments: