Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Birds, Part II

Once again, a large flock of birds has congregated in the neighborhood while they finalize the plans for their southern migration.


These are various black birds - likely European black birds, starlings, common grackles and brown-headed cowbirds - as they are known to flock together. You will have to click on the pictures to see them better and to get an idea of the number of birds present.



The school bus roused them from the trees.


They are also in our backyard. Here, I purposely startled them so I could get a picture of them in flight. I'm so mean.


1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Awesome bird pictures. I remember one afternoon, I was underneath my carport. At the time it was opened up, and where my son's bedroom is now, I had lattice work with espaliered pyracantha growing up it. All of a sudden, I heard a buzzing sound, like an engine. Hundreds of birds descended on the pyracantha berries and in seconds, ate them all. Then went to my deck to dispose of the berries. I could feel the wind of their wings on my face. Amazing.