Monday, November 10, 2008

Pomegranates for Dinner

Pomegranates have finally shown up in my regular grocery store, so of course I had to get a couple and plan a meal around this mysterious fruit. Mythology has it that Persephone was doomed to remain in Hades when she ate the seeds of the pomegranate. Some scholars believe that the pomegranate was in fact the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden. What is known is that the pomegranate has been a favorite food for thousands of years.

Recent research suggests that pomegranates are a power food that contain polyphenols, Vitamin C and Vitamin K. Pomegranates are endorsed by the American Heart Association.



I found a recipe for Pork Tenderloin with Pomegranate Sauce. I didn't have pork tenderloins on hand, but I do have bacon-wrapped turkey loin medallions. Close enough.

Here I have the ingredients for this dish: corn starch, white wine vinegar, black pepper, salt, olive oil, pomegranates, cinnamon, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, the turkey and butter.



The recipe calls for crushed coriander and cumin seeds. So I place them in a zipper bag and got out my small rolling pin.


The spices (3/4 teaspoon each cumin, coriander, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt) get mixed together. Coat the meat and set aside.


I wish you could smell the spices.





Look! Me washie handsies!



Now, on to the pomegranates. Fortunately, I had picked up a nice guide about pomegranates at the grocery store. I am directed to cut off the top of the fruit.





Looks like a crime scene. Where's the yellow police tape?




Slice down the sides of the fruits, between the sections. Pull a section off and begin seeding the fruit.



Over a bowl of water, separate the seeds from the membrane.
The arils (seeds) will sink to the bottom while the membrane will float.





This is labor-intensive work, but worth the effort.



Scoop the floating membrane off the surface. Now you can gently run the arils through your fingers to remove any remaining membrane.



I have set aside some arils for later use. The rest will be turned into pomegranate juice.




Pulse in a blender to liquefy.



Strain through a sieve to remove the seeds.




I ended up with just under a cup of juice after pressing the pulp through the sieve.



I then turn my attention to the next dish featuring pomegranates. Fresh green beans, black pepper, salt, olive oil, lemon zest, shallot and pomegranate arils are gathered.



After trimming the green beans and blanching them briefly, I reduce the pomegranate juice over medium-high heat for several minutes. I am a multi-tasking fool.



While the juice reduces, I work on the green beans. I spread the green beans on a baking sheet with half of a sliced shallot and dress with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Toss well to coat.



Looks like the juice has reduced nicely.




The juice is now a beautiful, thick syrup. Set aside.



I sear the meat in olive oil over medium-high heat. In a pan like this, the meat is ready to be turned when it releases easily from the pan. Don't try to force the issue or the meat will tear and will then be tough.



I move the meat to a baking dish and finish cooking it in the oven alongside the green beans.
Meanwhile, I add the pomegranate syrup to the pan and turn off the heat. Stir to incorporate the fond (brown bits) into the sauce. Stir in a slurry of one tablespoon water and 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch, a splash of vinegar, a pinch of salt and one tablespoon butter.



This sauce will be served on the side.
When the meat has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees, remove from the oven, cover and allow to rest for a few minutes.
Plate the green beans and toss with one tablespoon lemon zest and a few pomegranate arils.




Dinner is served. A bit of the pomegranate sauce is drizzled on the turkey. Sprinkle some arils on top to finish. Crescent rolls baked the day before complete the meal.

The pomegranate arils pop in your mouth, lending a unique sweet/tart burst of flavor to the dishes. All in all, this is a nice, seasonal treat.
And what did my family think? My dear husband was busy, cutting off the seasoned crust of the meat while ignoring the arils. The daughter begged me to not make anything with pomegranates for at least another year. At least the cat liked the meat my husband discarded. Sigh, what's a mother to do?
Heh, I still have some arils left, so unbeknownst to my dear family, they will be making an appearance in tonight's salad.

3 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Looks like a lovely meal.
Always looking for new ways to use pomegranates.

What's the matter with your family?

Kathy said...

Phooey on the family. I would have made yummy noises throughout the meal.

CarolynA said...

That looks delicious.

I've never prepared pomegranates that way, just either cut in half/tap with spoon to extract the arils, or press in a standing metal hand juicer to use the juice in Nigella's No-Churn Pomegranate Ice Cream. Thinking of which, perhaps your family could be tricked into intaking pomegranate in that form, mixed with confectioner's sugar, heavy cream, and a tad of lime juice. (But nearly Pepto Bismol pink.)