Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Perks of Being a Master Gardener

My wonderful vice presidents (and we don't pay them enough - but you didn't hear that from me *whistles innocently*) recently arranged for our Master Gardener association to tour the Indiana University greenhouses. Now, my dear daughter, who is now attending IU, was confused. I had to explain to her that we were going to see the "working" greenhouses of IU, as opposed to the teaching greenhouses that IU is known for. The greenhouses we got to see yesterday house the plant material that will very soon be adorning the grounds of Indiana University, Bloomington.

Now, is this the point in time when I should tell you that we were in the midst of a downpour? And I can't believe that I had forgotten just how loud the rain was in a greenhouse (but then again, my last job in a greenhouse had me being subject to a boss who loved to torment his workers. Thus, if it was cold and wet, we were outside. If it was dry and hot, we were in the greenhouses. I finally quit the day the thermometer in the greenhouse hit 120 degrees with 90 % humidity. What, me bitter? But you have to admit that that is a horrible thing to do to a natural born gardener...)

Anyway... the rain on the roof was loud. State secrets could have been passed next to us and we would have been none the wiser. But among the few pieces of information I was able to glean: despite the recent rains, here in Southern Indiana, we are still trying to recover from the recent drought. And I can attest to this fact: dig just a few inches into the ground and you will hit very dry ground. Not good.

Despite the less than favorable conditions, I enjoyed myself. Note to self: I owe my dear daughter dearly for her patience in dealing with us silly gardeners. Oh wait, I did take her out to eat afterward. Nevermind....




I cannot begin to tell you the joy that breaches my soul when I see a venue such as this - especially when I realize that I am not the poor schmuck that has to take care of all this. (and in case you are wondering, yes, I was once in such a position. Unfortunately, it's just about enough to put you off gardening forever.)





Oh, I'm loving this. Gotta love the intellectual gardeners.








Now, we learned that the gardeners created this planter. It involves poles and plates and welding and bolts. I will admit that I already am planning how I can recreate this at home, so I will not blame you for also trying. Now, don't complain. I've given you broad hints. I would hope that you can put to use that silly education we reluctantly received in high school to recreate a working model.


And this is interesting. Here we have geraniums (pelargoniums!) and a lime green sedum that I had never heard of before.


Vinca... as far as the camera can see....


Now, is it a bad thing that I miss the varied impatiens cultivars that I was able to find in Cincinnati? While I have been able to find (through much soul-searching) benefits to living in Bloomington, I really do miss the vast variety of plant-life that I could easily obtain in a larger city.

Well, okay, I DON'T miss the pollution.

Hey, come to think of it, I LOVE this place!


Don' cha just love impatiens?

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Oooh, I luvs me a good greenhouse.