Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kelley's Macaroni and Cheese

I have to admit that I first became intrigued with the idea that home cooking could be made even more special by just realizing that by following certain tried and true procedures, truly great things can be achieved.

And so for me, at least in this arena, The Frugal Gourmet's legacy will live on.

One of the dishes I learned from this controversial TV chef was Thomas Jefferson's Macaroni and Cheese. Now, this is not your mama's macaroni and cheese. There is no milk or processed cheese involved here. And this is our version of Thomas Jefferson's creation.


My dear daughter, Kelley, has taken ownership of this family dish. Now, some of the many changes we have made to this dish include: reducing the amount of butter to 3 tablespoons and substituting cheddar and mozzarella cheeses for the Italian cheeses that were called for in the original dish.
At the time of Jefferson's infatuation with Italian cuisine, it was illegal to export pasta from Italy. Apparently these laws were not a determent to one of our founding fathers, as he did indeed sneak pasta to the new world and ultimately to our tables.



Daughter Kelley pours just over a cup of fusilli to 2 quarts of boiling, salted water. Cook until al dente and then drain.




Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, chopped onion, kosher salt and black pepper in a 350 degree oven.


Mr. Pasta meet Mr. Melted Butter and friends (ooh, isn't Jamie Oliver just too cute?).


And now we begin to add the cheese. Both cheddar and mozzarella. I never add enough for my family's taste, so I am not allowed to do this step.

All I can tell you is that you will have to play with the amounts of cheeses until you come up with something that appeals to you and your family's tastes.

Dear daughter has decided that the pasta to cheese ratio has reached its apex.


After about 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven, the dish is ready for serving.

As you might imagine, this is not a creamy, milk-based macaroni and cheese dish.

But, my family loves this dish, so it is good in our eyes.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn/Orchid Gal,

It's Micosmom from Shrike Central -- writing from Columbus, Ohio. I had to giggle -- my real name is Kelley, with an "ey", just like your daughter. Anyway, that mac and cheese looks wicked good and is my daughter's favorite food, so we're going to try it. Got to your site from Rosie's -- love your pics.

Kelley