Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Twist on a New Recipe

I have had a good bit of luck with Ina Garten's recipes from The Barefoot Contessa on Food Network and I really wanted to try her recipe for Chicken Piccata when it first came out. Unfortunately, that was also about the same time that I found out I am allergic to chicken. What to do? I was able to find a package of Turkey Tenderloin for Scallopini, which is turkey breast that has been thinly sliced. Ah, I thought, this is my chance. I didn't even have to whack the meat. Hmm, that might be a drawback...

I did use only 1/4 cup of lemon juice, rather than the 1/3 cup that Ina recommended and I omitted the lemon slices. I found that I needed 2 large eggs to coat all the meat. Also, as it is February in Southern Indiana, I have no fresh parsley on hand, so I also left that out.


Mis en place for the Turkey Scallopini.


The breaded turkey goes into a hot pan. Have I told you that I love this pan? No, really. I am in love.




The meat continues to cook. After it is cooked through, I remove it to a platter and place in a warm oven. On to the next step...


And I've found the perfect use for my new silicone whisk. The sauce is coming together.

The completed dish.

The verdict? This was an easy dish to prepare and took very little time once the meat had been breaded. The meat was tender and the breading was wonderful and not too much for the meat. However, the lemon flavor was far too strong for such a delicate dish. I will make this again, but I would definitely reduce the amount of lemon juice. But still, it's a decent start.

No comments: