Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Day on the Road - Oh, and Family

My uncle contacted me recently with the wish that the remaining members of my father's family could meet and just generally have a good time. Unfortunately, several circumstances have conspired to prevent much anticipated family gatherings. You know, all that business about schedules, travel time and a cost/benefits analysis.

So, today was the day. We met at The Olde Richmond Inn in (surprise!) Richmond, IN for lunch. There were about 30 of us (and we had a few missing due to sickness), so my uncle had rented a banquet room for us. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed meeting with them.

Once, several years ago, my uncle arranged a family get-together and then had a surprise for us: a private tour of a private multi-million dollar car museum. I am talking the actual cars that won the Indy 500, the Indy 400, etc. And, wouldn't you know... in the grand scheme that is life, I had no camera with me that day! Arrgh. I think that was the day I resolved to never be without camera again.

Anyway, we had a great time and I was able to connect with my remaining cousins (I lost one to a motorcycle accident 12 years ago and another to brain cancer 7 years ago.) And hey, it was somewhat okay for my cousins to be grandparents, but now I'm gonna be a grandmother? Say it isn't so!


The future Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN.





Another view. This is for you, MissOrchidgal.


I took these pics for my daughter, the wannabe first female coach of the NFL. You go, girl!

No comments: