Saturday, February 23, 2008

Marilyn Bakes - Who Knew?!

In an absolute fit of madness today, I decided to raid my fridge and grab the remaining apples that I had bought when my daughter, Spoonie and I went to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio back in November. I decided that while I actually did want to bake a dessert for once, I didn't want to go all out. Hey, you take what you can get.


So, I peeled, cored and sliced four good sized apples and placed them in an 8" x 11" casserole dish.





Oops, I forgot my mise en place photo. Well, I am sure that you can figure out that the sliced apples started out whole and that the dry ingredients started out in their individual containers in my pantry. Take that Sandra Lee!





Then I assembled the dry ingredients: 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. I randomly decided that some kosher salt would not be amiss, so I added a bare pinch to the mixture (hint, you could probably count the grains).



Once that was all properly mixed together, I cut in 1/2 stick of softened butter. About halfway through this process I smacked myself on the forehead, wondering why I didn't do this all in my food processor. Note to self: remember you now have a food processor.




I did add about 1/8 cup of cinnamon sugar to the top of the dish. Because, you can never have too much cinnamon sugar.


The mixture then goes on the apples and the entire thing goes in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the apples are tender.


It looks good. Yes, I know it's simple, but then again, so am I, so just deal with it.


The verdict? A couple of concerned individuals have expressed grave doubts that this dish will actually survive to be dessert for tonight's dinner. We will attempt to restrain ourselves.


Me? I'm happy. As a self-avowed non-baker, I feel rather pleased with myself.

Well, apparently the food is good after all.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Ooh, that sounds good. When I make it a use oatmeal too. Some vanella ice cream. Heaven.