Sunday, October 28, 2007

She who laughs last - didn't understand the joke

Does anyone need a laugh today? Especially since it is at my expense? All right then. Many years ago my husband's grandmother gave me an old copper pot. It is a 2 quart sauce pan with a lid. The inside is stainless steel and the handles seem to be solid brass.


The mystery pot - isn't it pretty?



So, how do I use this pot? I don't. It is beautiful and I have always treated it as a piece of art. Simply put, it hangs on my kitchen wall. That's it. Fast forward to this morning. Out of curiosity I read the name that is engraved on the underside of the pot handle. I have to admit: the name has never meant anything to me. I had never heard of it and had always assumed it was an off brand. I do know that the pot was several years old when it was given to me 15 or so years ago.


But now that I have the vast resources of the internet available to me, I decided to see if I could find out anything about this mystery pot. Cop*R*Chef. Holy cow! It's All-Clad! As in this is not a cheap pot. As in, why in the world haven't I been using the thing? Well, it certainly will be used from now on. I found a treasure that had been hiding in plain sight all these years. It looks good on the wall.




















I took the time last evening to prepare breakfast for this morning. This casserole must be assembled the night before, to allow the custard mixture to soften the bread. I allow the casserole to set up for a bit after I remove it from the oven. The dish holds well and reheats easily.




GOOD MORNING CASSEROLE

I was first served this at my best friend Jeanie's house. She, in turn, had gotten it from another friend. This has to be made the night before so it can sit in the refrigerator overnight.

~ 6 slices Pepperidge Farm bread
margarine spread
1 lb. sausage
6 eggs, beaten
1 c. half and half
1 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese


Remove crusts from the bread and spread margarine on one side. Grease a 13 X 9 X 2 inch pan; lay bread with margarine side up. Brown sausage, crumbled. Drain and spoon over bread. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Mix and pour egg, half and half, milk and salt. Cover casserole and chill over night.

When ready to bake, let casserole stand out 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered 45 minutes or until set.


This looks good enough to eat!

3 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

The pot's beautiful. I don't know if I could bring myself to use it though. I have no copper cookware. Let me know how it works.

Rosie Hawthorne said...

The breakfast dish looks really good. I've made something similar to it and it was quite good. I think mine had bacon instead of sausage.

My kids used to like scrambled eggs and bacon, rolled up in a tortilla, with cheese on top.

Rosie Hawthorne said...

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=836

Well, I'll be.