Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Roasted Leg of Lamb with Rosemary

The Foodie Daughter loves lamb, but hates having to work to find the meat. I was lucky enough to find a half leg of lamb at the store. The next step was to find a suitable recipe.



Fortunately the Internet once again came to the rescue as I found this recipe for Roast Leg of Lamb with Rosemary on allrecipes.com.






Here I have assembled:


The half leg of lamb

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons prepared Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon lemon zest

3 cloves garlic, minced or grated

1 teaspoon coarse sea salt




I often choose to grate the garlic so that there are not large pieces of garlic in the food.






Now, I would tell you that I decided that upon reading the recipe, I realized that this really did not qualify as a marinade due to the lack of an acid and so I decided to forgo the marinade part of the recipe.


The truth however, is that I neglected to read the recipe the night before, and thus could not marinate the meat overnight.

I do stand by my belief that this really does not qualify as a true marinade though.





I brushed a bit of the glaze on the meat before roasting the leg of lamb in the oven.

Since there was so much honey in the glaze, I added some water to the bottom of the baking dish so that the honey wouldn't burn so badly on the dish.

Unfortunately, it still took some serious elbow grease to clean the dish afterwards.

I ended up having to soak the dish in water with dishwasher detergent in order to loosen the burnt on bits.






The leg of lamb roasted until it reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees.

Make sure that the thermometer does not touch the bone as that would give a false reading.




After allowing the meat to rest under foil for ten minutes, I sliced the roast for dinner.






The remaining glaze was served at the table.



Roasted potatoes and Bacon Broccoli and Craisin Salad accompany the roast.








The leg of lamb was moist, tender and flavorful.

Best of all, there was no need to fight to get to the meat.

The Foodie Daughter was most pleased.


1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Looks delicious.
Lamb is one of my favorites.