Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What Would Brian Boitano Make?
Well, Brian Boitano would make Coq au Vin-guine, but as I am famously allergic to chicken, I am making Dinde au Vin-guine per his recipe from his Food Network show. Hint, dinde is turkey in french.



I went to Wally World (WalMart) today and, thus had to make a couple of substitutions. I subbed pearl onions for the cipollini onions and bacon for the pancetta. Sigh, guess that's what I get for slumming it.
I also have:
linguine
olive oil
salt
black pepper
merlot wine
crimini mushrooms
flour
flat leaf parsley
tomato paste
garlic cloves
thyme
butter
turkey cutlets (on sale!)

I cut the turkey cutlets to bite size pieces.



Before lightly coating them in seasoned flour.



This was set aside in the refrigerator until needed.



Then I brushed clean the crimini mushrooms and sliced about half of them for the dish. The Foodie Daughter does not like mushrooms, so I opted to leave the rest for another meal.




And then it was time to get emotional. The package directed me to drop the onions in boiling water for a couple of minutes before rinsing under cold water. Honestly, I found it just as easy to simply peel the things as is. However, nothing stopped the tears. It got so bad that I couldn't see what I was doing. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and I was in pain. I was beginning to wonder if this dish was worth all this misery.





All right, fast forward a bit. The bacon has been cooked and drained and now the onions are cooking. The cat was busy being cute, so the Foodie Daughter had absconded with my camera for a while.






Then the mushrooms and the turkey were browned.







The garlic and tomato paste were cooked for a couple of minutes before the wine was added to the pan. This was allowed to reduce for a few minutes before the rest of the ingredients were added back in.




Finally the Dinde au Vin-guine was plated and presented to the hungry family.
The verdict?
This goes into the recipe rotation, but I will definitely be halving the recipe as it makes a lot of food.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I love this stuff, and I think it is nearing time for me to try it too. BS should be pleased if I do. Yours looks very good.