Sunday, March 8, 2009

Finding Comfort

I have stated before that my go-to comfort meal is a bowl or mug of cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. After the sad events of the past week, I have felt the need for some serious comforting.

On Thursday evening I was far too distressed to even consider cooking 'real' food. In this case, canned ready-to-eat soup would have to do. I made grilled cheddar cheese sandwiches for my daughter and husband, and a grilled baby Swiss cheese sandwich for myself. I also added mustard, onion and sliced ham to my sandwich. The wine was for 'medicinal' purposes.


I decided to do things right today. This time I am tweaking the recipe for Chunky Tomato Bacon Soup that I had made recently. This time around I used Tomato Puree instead of the Crushed Tomatoes that the recipe called for. I also substituted a sprig of fresh rosemary for the basil and I cut some fresh chives for garnish.


I chose to set the bacon aside to use as a garnish for the soup, rather than adding the bacon to the soup. Freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, chopped green onion and the chopped chives round out the garnish selection.


A French Baguette from Schwan's accompanied this simple but satisfying meal. Now this is comfort. And I think I have settled on the final version for this Creamy Tomato Soup.

No comments: