Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Where's the Ham?!

Another day, another ham. Can I tell you a secret? I am sick of ham. I am tired of ham. I have had it up to here with ham. I don't want to see ham again for a very, very long time.




I decided to heed the advice from some sage Internet friends, so I diced the remaining ham and packaged most of it for the freezer. Though the texture will suffer from being refrozen, this ham can easily be used as toppings for pizza and omelets or in soups.

That still leaves some ham for tonight's dinner.

I trimmed and blanched some green beans and set those aside for later. I then cleaned and cut three Klondike Rose Red Skin Golden Idaho Potatoes (rose, red, golden - couldn't they make up their minds?). I tossed them with some olive oil and seasoned with salt and black pepper before baking them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
At that time I pulled the pan out and added the green beans, along with a sliced shallot, some diced ham and a slice of bacon that was cut. Salt and pepper were sprinkled over the green beans and this went back into the oven for another 30 minutes.

Wait a minute! This doesn't look like ham. Why, it looks like a Cowboy Rib Eye Steak. The steaks were on sale at the grocery store today, so one jumped in my cart. This one steak will easily become two meals for us, and the bone will be added to my freezer stash for beef stock makings.
Olive oil, kosher salt and cracked black pepper coat each side of the steak. I heated my cast iron skillet over high heat before I put the steak in the pan. I seared each side of the steak before sticking the remote-probe thermometer in the center of the steak and placing the pan in the oven. I set the thermometer for 130 degrees. After resting, the temperature would reach 135 to 140 degrees and the beef will be rare.


The timer went off and I plated the veggies.



After resting, the steak was ready to be sliced for service.




This looks good enough to eat.

No comments: