Thursday, December 11, 2008

Another Glorious Day

I decided today that I was suffering from acute stock withdrawal. The cure? Why, making some stock, of course. I picked up some beef soup bones at the grocery store today and when I got home I pulled out the saved beef bones and trimmings from the freezer. Those all went into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I cleaned and cut two carrots, two celery ribs, half a large onion (including the outer layer) and two cloves of garlic. After 30 minutes I tossed the veggies in with the beef bones and trimmings and baked for another 30 minutes. I also tossed the celery leaves, a couple of bay leaves, some dried thyme, black peppercorns, whole cloves and dried rosemary into a stock pot and added some water.



Now, this is what I call therapy. After transferring the contents to the stock pot, I added water to this pan and heated it on the stove while stirring to lift up the fond from the bottom of the pan. The water and the savory bits were then poured into the stock pot. I then turned the heat for the stock pot to medium and allowed the stock to simmer for several hours.








Let's take a look outside.


The skies cleared up just in time for a glorious sunset.








This picture was taken just after the last photo. The difference is that the flash was turned off for this shot while the flash was used for the last one.





A few minutes later I took another photo of the same view. The flash was used here.




And no flash for this one. The subtle differences in the ambient light makes a huge difference when you take a picture. I would suggest that you play around and take pictures with and without the flash.




And now we come to the money shots.




It has been a long time since we have had such a beautiful sunset.
Hope your day was as nice as mine.