Saturday, December 6, 2008

Well, Blast It All

Yet another of my dendrobium orchids has recently set buds and I have been anticipating seeing these beauties open. Unfortunately, this is the scene that awaited me...


Those buds belong on the plant, not on the floor!

I hate when this happens. Orchid bud blast. Blasted orchid bud blast. When this happens to an orchid, you can probably bet that the cause is environmental: too much water, not enough water, too hot, too cold, too drafty. You get the idea. In my case, I would suspect that the plant has dried out and the buds have been sacrificed for the greater good.

If this happens to your orchid, rest assured that you are in good company. Nearly all orchid growers have had this discouraging event happen to them at some point.


And this is what this orchid is supposed to look like. Le sigh...

No comments: