Saturday, March 29, 2008

What a Day!

I was a busy girl on Saturday. I needed to get an onion so I could make some turkey stock and some corn on the cob for dinner on the grill (grilled turkey legs, too), so I decided to load up the trunk of my car with some of our recyclables and I packed my camera.

First, I headed east to see how high the lake would be at 12.6 feet over pool level. I couldn't even get to the lake as one of the streams had flooded the road (I do NOT drive through flooded areas). So I carefully turned around and headed to my local nursery, where I bought some herbs, some onion, shallots and garlic, a very striking pelargonium and a tomato plant. I then headed south and found my way to the tailwater (the dam and the stream below the dam). I got out and took some pictures and then drove up to the overlook and took more pics.

Then it was on to the grocery store and the recycling center. I had to wait in line at the recycling center, but finally got to park and unload. And then I drove home, started my turkey stock, got some lunch, planted some of my pots, and then caught up with my internet addiction. Whew! Hoping y'all had a very happy Saturday.

Rats. My way is blocked this way.

The southern end of Lake Monroe, as viewed from the overlook.

The dam.

And now we are below the dam.

Looking down at the outflow from the dam.

We seem to have lost some of the steps.

Some fishermen are taking advantage of the tailwater.

I formed a recipe for grilled turkey legs. I had earlier brined (water, salt, sugar, black pepper corns and dried red pepper flakes) the legs as I was unsure as to what method I was going to use to cook the legs and I wanted to ensure that they remained moist and tender.

I later decided to first boil the legs until they reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees and then grill to crisp the skin. I added sugar, lemon juice, sliced onion, black pepper corns, dried red pepper flakes and hot sauce to the water.

I inserted a probe thermometer into the thick end of one of the legs and set it to beep at 165 degrees. This took about 20-30 minutes.

While the turkey legs were boiling, I made a grilling glaze. One tablespoon of steak sauce and two tablespoons of honey are mixed together and will be brushed on the legs later.

The legs and corn on the cob go on the grill.

After about 15 minutes on the grill, we are ready to eat. I want to try this with turkey wings someday.

No comments: