Sunday, March 2, 2008

Trial and Error (or You Win Some, You Lose Some)

While I was at the grocery store on Monday, I picked up a rack of pork ribs for later in the week. As I had a dinner-time meeting planned for Thursday, I knew I would be using my slow cooker to ensure that my poor, culinarily-challenged family wouldn't starve during my absence.


Four ingredients for the pork ribs: the ribs, 1/2 cup turkey consomme for the necessary liquid, Hogwild(tm) Special Dry Sauce (yeah, I know, but I didn't name it. What can I say? My husband goes to Memphis, TN for conferences and brings me back jars of dry rub.), and my own blend of Memphis dry rub.





As Paula Deen would say, rub your meat!




The ribs go into the slow cooker with the turkey consomme. They will end up cooking for about 10 hours.






And, wouldn't you know it? Thursday rolls around and I am not feeling well. I canceled out on the meeting and decided to try a new recipe for macaroni and cheese, since I would be home after all.




The mise en place for Tyler Florence's Mac N' Cheese with Bacon and Cheese. I halved the recipe, so these are the amounts I used: Clockwise from top left: 2 3/4 cups sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, 2 cups elbow macaroni, dried thyme, 2 cups half and half, dried parsley, black pepper, 2 slices bacon, 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 onion, chopped, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and kosher salt.



My daughter helps add the cheese to the bechamel.


Now Kelley adds the cooked macaroni.

After adding the bacon topping to the macaroni, the dish bakes for 30 minutes.

The ribs come out of the slow cooker and are ready for service.

The verdict? If my husband had come home on time, the ribs would have been just a bit better, but I am used to him messing up my schedule by now. The mac 'N cheese was good, but not great. After asking where I had gotten the recipe, my husband asked that I put it back where I had found it. Sorry, Tyler, but this was not the ultimate. But hey, it was food, we were fed and all's well that ends well.


No comments: