Saturday, March 29, 2008

Marilyn Learns to Mango


After having this poor mango on hand for two weeks, with nary a clue of how to actually use it, I finally found a decent recipe for a mango-red onion salad.

Wow, success on the very first try! Oh, didn't I tell you that I had never dealt with mango before?

I followed the directions given: cut cross hatches into the flesh, but avoid cutting through the skin (or too much, at least). I felt it was best for the safety and well-being of my left hand (I'm very attached to it, you see) to set the fruit on the cutting board before slicing and dicing.

Now the fun part: turn the fruit 'inside out' to make it easier to pop off the cubes.


Next, I sliced a bit of red onion to add to the salad.




And now we have the salad. I did add a splash of soy sauce for depth of flavor. The juxtaposition of sweet and tangy made for a satisfying dish.

Hopefully, the next time I will have the suggested mint growing in my garden so that I can add that to the dish.

No comments: