Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Blooms, I

I am happy to report that the first of my flowers have burst into bloom.





My first flowers of the season. The crocus have not yet opened for the day.







A couple of hours later and the crocus have awakened.








The Cleveland Select Pear trees are beginning to bud out.




One of these plants is not like the other. Can you guess? That's right, it's the rosemary, because unlike the thyme and the chives, it is dead. While the chives have already started growing for the year, the thyme will need just a bit more time. (Oh, I'm funny.)




And now we have the first plant I have potted this year. You know, I can never remember if I am planting plants, potting pots, planting pots, or potting plants.




Later in the day and the crocus are even more beautiful.



Lichen on one of my dogwood trees. The good news? The presence of lichen indicates that we have a healthy, relatively polution-free environment. The better news? Lichens do not in any way, shape or form harm the host plant.

Oh, I am a happy gardener, indeed.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

That's interesting about the lichens.
When I was taking my classes at the Elizabethan Gardens, we learned that Spanish Moss is also indicative of clean, pollution-free air. And the live oaks were full of it.

CarolynA said...

This is encouraging. If Southern Indiana has crocuses, I might be getting small green shoots by the time I get home to Chicago on Sunday! Yay!