Monday, January 17, 2011

Switching Up Sides - Glazed Carrots


Every now and again I find myself in a culinary rut.


It seemed like I have been making the same old

veggies and potatoes or noodles every night for dinner.


Something needed to change.







A quick search on the Internet yielded several

recipes for glazed carrots.


I chose this one.

I also halved the recipe, so my ingredients are:

1/2 pound carrots

2 tablespoons orange juice

1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon butter


I deviated from the recipe by adding

a pinch of black pepper

and by only adding salt to the cooking water for the carrots.




First I peeled and cut the carrots into roughly equal-sized

pieces.





After the carrots cooked in salted water until tender,

they were drained.


Then the orange juice was added and this was

cooked for another five minutes.



Then the butter, sugar and black pepper were added.


Cook until the butter and sugar are melted.




This was a nice departure from the same old, same old.



I think I'll work on tweaking the recipe to allow for

a thicker glaze the next time.

Maybe a little pop of color as well?


No comments: