Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Eight Days of Ham - Day Five


On the Fifth Day of Ham I conscripted

Foodie Daughter and Foodie Boyfriend's help

with the remaining ham.





Between the three of us,

we sliced about 3 cups of ham,

set aside a pound of ham for another ham loaf,

made 4.8 pounds of ham loaf

and had six cups of the trimmings of the ham

left over per the Foodie Boyfriend's request.


As a quick reminder,

my easy and tasty recipe for ham salad is:


ham, cut in small dice

celery, minced

carrot, minced

onion, minced

mayonnaise

relish

sugar


I give no measurements as I don't measure,

but I usually use at least one celery rib

and about 1/2 carrot

and about 2 or 3 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish.


After adding enough mayonnaise to get the

ham salad to the right consistency,

add sugar until the saltiness is balanced.

You don't want a sweet ham salad

- you just are looking for a balanced flavor.



A quart of the ham salad was sent home

with the Foodie Boyfriend,

leaving the rest for us.


Once again I find that I neglected to take pictures of dinner.


I'm blaming my inner ear infection on this.


Suffice it to say that we had sandwiches of

sliced ham or ham salad

and soup from the fridge or pantry,

depending on the diner's choice.


Simple and filling, especially for those of us

who are still trying to get better.

No comments: