Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Scottish Rite at the Irish Lion
The Scottish Rite Guild met this evening at a local restaurant in our town. I had been asking my husband to take me to The Irish Lion for several years now, so I was very happy to tag along to yet another Masonic event. In all, 65 people showed up for a nice evening of fellowship and good food.


I chose a seat next to a window in the corner of the room. Obviously I didn't select this seat because of the view to the east outside the window.

Surprisingly, we were offered a choice of five different entrees. I have to say that I have never seen this done at a large dinner.

What to eat, what to eat?



The friendly waitstaff informed us that soft drinks were included with the dinner, but a cash bar was available. Well, of course I had to get a Guinness. I can't go to an Irish Pub (again) and not get a Guinness, can I?



Appetizers were presented. First up was a plate of Irish Soda Bread.
This is a very dense, dry bread. Quite tasty, really.




Fresh apple slices, grapes and grilled brie accompanied the Soda Bread.
Blarney Puffballs, deep-fried potato balls made with a cheese/garlic mixture, were served with sour cream.
My husband told me that I would have to find a recipe for the Blarney Puffballs. I'll get right on that, dear.





Then a salad of lettuce, cucumbers, red onion, mushrooms and grape tomatoes arrived. This is the signature House Salad and came with a tangy, yet creamy dressing.





My husband opted to have the fish and chips.


He liked it, but found that he couldn't finish it all.




I chose the Lamb Chops with mint jelly and Brandon Potatoes.


Tender and quite tasty. The lamb was cooked to medium-rare, though it had crossed over to medium by the time it was served. I can't complain at all, though.




What's this? More food? Well, if you insist.


This is the house-made Irish Apple Walnut Cake. Oh my. Nirvana, I tell you.

They certainly didn't want anyone to leave hungry. Did it work? My husband requested that I roll him down the stairs when we leave. How about we just both walk down the stairs and down the block to the car?

And did you notice the lighting for the beauty shots of the plates? Since this is an old building, the window sill was very deep and served nicely as a shelf for the plates as I took their pictures. And now you know why I chose the window seat with no view.

All in all this was a very nice evening and we got to visit with some very nice people. Good food is never amiss, either.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I always get the window seats when I go out to eat.

And I'm getting ready to google Blarney Puffballs.

Wonder Schwermin said...

I love the Irish Lion. Although my college pals and I used to call Blarney Puffballs "Barney Fife Balls." Yes I know, I'm 12.