Sunday, May 17, 2009

Grilled Beef Kabobs

The dear daughter has been asking for beef kabobs, so I decided to make some for Sunday evening's dinner.

The first step was to go to the grocery store where I looked for a nice, thick piece of sirloin. Alas, my regular grocery store only had thin cuts of this meat, so I reached for a beef shoulder petite roast instead. It would not be quite as tender, but after marinating overnight, I knew that it would be tasty. At home I cut the meat into 2 inch chunks and repackaged them for later.






I searched a bit on the Internet for a marinade for the kabobs. I found this one, that I then proceeded to ignore for the most part. I'm funny that way.
The recipe called for liquid smoke, cider vinegar, brown sugar, catsup, soy sauce, ginger and pineapple juice. The recipe stated that honey could be substituted for the liquid smoke (if they say so).
In the end, I did what I usually do with sauces: I added a bit of this, a dollop of that and a splash of the other thing until I had something that suited my tastes.


The marinade is ready.



Some of the marinade was poured over the beef. The remainder was saved for serving at the table. I opted to marinate the beef for a full 24 hours, to ensure maximum flavor and tenderness.



Time to grill.




Towards the end of the cooking time I added the skewer of pineapple chunks to the grill.





Meanwhile, I had put some bacon lardons on a sheet pan and placed that on the second rack of the grill. After the bacon was partly cooked, sugar snap peas, broccoli florets and red onion were added to the pan. The veggies were seasoned with salt and pepper.






Can I just tell you? This smelled as good as it looked.






Dinner is served.





The meat was tender and the sauce was a nice balance of both sweet and tart. The liquid smoke lingered in the background, deepening the flavor.




The veggies were tender/crisp and very tasty. All in all, this was a good meal.


1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Now I'm hungry. That looks lovely.