Saturday, April 28, 2012

Breaded Shrimp and Spinach Salad

The Foodie Boyfriend was not around 
last Thursday, so I dug in the freezer
and found a container of 
our wonderful Gulf shrimp from Fabian Seafood.

They came up to B-town for the first 
time this season last week.
So of course I had to stand in line and 
purchase some tasty shrimp fresh from the Gulf.
 
 I let the shrimp thaw in the refrigerator overnight
so it would be ready by dinner on Thursday.


 Here is the tease of the finished dinner.


 I was tired of having sauteed shrimp,
so I decided to deep-fry this batch.
First I deshelled the shrimp and
patted them dry.
Then I dusted them with about a couple of 
tablespoons of the dry tempura mix.
This will help the wet batter stick to the shrimp.

I mixed about 1/4 cup tempura mix with
enough beer to make a runny batter.

I mixed this together at least 30 minutes ahead 
of time so the liquid can properly absorb into the 
dry ingredients.

I heated enough oil in a sauce pan over 
medium-high heat until the oil reached 350 degrees.

As the Foodie Boyfriend is allergic to shellfish,
I am careful to keep this oil separate
from other frying oils.
Clear labeling is very important
when dealing with food allergies.

Once the oil has reached the proper temperature,
I fried three to four shrimp at a time
for only one to two minutes.


Then I drained them on a rack over a baking sheet.

I chose to eat the shrimp with the spinach salad,
while my husband and the Foodie Daughter
treated them as two separate dishes.

This was so light and delicious and not greasy 
at all.

There is nothing like Gulf shrimp.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

You are making me homesick.