Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Garden in Late April

The garden and the weeds are doing well,
despite a hard freeze a couple of weeks ago.


 My first peony is in bloom.

In fact, this is the first time this peony has bloomed for me,
as it is a young plant.

Peonies are long-lived perennials and have been known
to live as long as 50 years or more.

 The chives are in bloom.
The flowers can be picked, cleaned and used in salads.
They have a sharp, garlicky flavor.


 One of my foxglove that I had planted last year
is blooming.

Foxglove, or Digitalis, is poisonous.
Do not ingest any part of this plant.
The plant is used to make digoxin, a heart medicine.


 The Latin name, Digitalis, comes from the fact that 
the flower can be fitted over the finger, or digit, like a glove.


 My late-flowering lilac, Miss Kim, is flowering early
this year.


 The rhododendron in full bloom.


 The azalea in full bloom.


And another azalea in full bloom.

Now, I just have to get there out and weed and trim.
No rest for the gardener.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Lovely! I miss my garden. My roses are in full bloom now and I'm not there to see them.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Your flowers remind me on my grandmother's garden -- peonies, rhododendron, lilacs, I love them all. Anything that I plant that flowers becomes part of the salad bar for the deer.

vera charles