Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Super Spread

Once again the Foodies celebrated the Super Bowl
with a Super Spread.

Despite the fact that we were just an hour away
from the Spectacle this year,
we opted to watch from home.


I apologize for the wait for this post,
but we lost Internet for a day
thanks to our router
and then I had other things going on and then
I had other computer problems,
yada, yada, yada.

But finally, here it is.



Saturday morning I plopped a pork shoulder picnic roast
into the slow cooker.

Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and about
half a cup of homemade turkey stock went into the  mix.

This cooked at medium heat for about 8 hours.


Bonus!
It was on sale.



The meat was not quite tender after 8 hours
and we couldn't break it down into bite size pieces
using forks.

I decided to call it a day and popped the still-tough pork
back into the fridge and saved the juice in a separate
container and put that in the fridge as well.

The next morning the pork went back into the 
slow cooker along with a bit of the jellied sauce.

After a few hours, 
we were able to break down the meat into 
bite-size pieces.

Then I added my special BBQ sauce to the pulled pork.


Next up, the drunken mini sausages.

I threw in a dash of catsup,
a sprinkle of Tamari,
a soupcon of Worcestershire sauce,
a healthy splash of red wine,
a plop of compacted brown sugar,
a bit of grated onion and one garlic clove, grated.

I never follow a recipe for this.
Sauces are not science,
they are an art form.
And they drift in the winds and the whims
of desires.

What you like today is not what you will like tomorrow.
So taste, taste, taste.

Or you can follow the recipe.
Whatever floats your boat.
Next up is a hot cheese dip.
I started with a "pre-bought" cheese dip
and proceeded to Semi-Ho it, 
ala Sandra Lee, minus the seasoning packets.

I added a splash of sherry, 
a tablespoon of grated onion,
a tablespoon of grated sharp cheddar cheese,
and 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder to the cheese dip.

Stir and heat over low heat in a small slow cooker.


The sausages and the cheese dip are ready for 
the football fans.

I love this dual slow cooker that I got for Christmas.



And the rest of the food is set out.


Who cares who wins?

The food is good and the commercials are good.

Isn't that what is really important
about this day?

Oh, there are football teams playing?
Really?

Who knew?









1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I love those little smokies.