Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's All in the Details

My daughter-in-law gave me this lovely picture frame
a couple of years ago, 
but something has always bugged me about it.

Despite the fact that the resin frame is three dimensional,
it has always felt "flat."

I knew how to fix it,
but just hadn't gotten "a round tuit"* until today.

*a round to it, get it?  


 A very nice frame, but it can be better.


 First, I brushed on a watered-down acrylic brown paint,
before wiping most of it off with a paper towel.

This will dry within a matter of seconds.

Notice how this brings out the details.

You can stop at this point,
or you can continue on.


Next, I used my finger to dry rub on a metallic acrylic bronze paint
over the raised edges of the frame
to bring out more of the details.

And in a matter of minutes, 
this frame went from boring to outstanding.

Not bad for ten minutes work.

No comments: