Sunday, April 13, 2008

Take Me Down to the Riverdance


One of the perks of living in a college town is being able to take advantage of the cultural events. My daughter is required to attend some of these events as part of her college education, and she nicely asked if I would like to attend Riverdance with her and her friend (with me paying, of course!).


We arrived early at the IU Auditorium. This is the infamous Showalter fountain that depicts the birth of Venus. The fish surrounding Venus have been known to 'disappear' in protest of events or to celebrate national basketball titles.


And this is the reason we are here. I can't wait to see this live.





As we arrived very early, we went for a walk. Fortunately, the weather cooperated with us.

And here we have the Jordan River. As you might be able to see, this is just a creek, so the designation of 'river' is a bit of a joke. The creek was named after a former IU president, David Starr Jordan, who once joked that he'd like the creek that runs through the campus to be named after him. Well, he got his wish.



My daughter and her friend wanted me to take this picture of the large sculpture that sits in front of one of the buildings. It certainly is an experience to wander around with two 19 year old girls. And no, you really don't want to know some of the things they were saying.

Finally, the show started and I really enjoyed the show, despite the fact that I had the misfortune of sitting behind a human bobblehead. I suppose I must thank my daughter for taking the program away from me so that I couldn't swat the idiot upside the head with it. So, despite that annoyance and distraction, I really liked the show.

Oh, and did I mention that they have a racket going? Between the cost of tickets and the cost of refreshments, there are also the very overpriced souveniers. So, $45 poorer, my daughter had her own copy of the program and a DVD of the Best of Riverdance.

And we lucked out again: the rain held off until we got in the car. Then we got to sit in line and watch the lightning flash and the rain fall.

IU Aditorium at night.


The IU Art Museum at night.


No comments: