Saturday, April 19, 2008

An Evening at the Scottish Rite

As an officer's lady (wife or significant other), I was invited to a nice dinner this past Friday evening. As an officer's lady, I was expected to attend. Fortunately, this year I was able to ride up with my husband. I was relieved, as traveling 60 miles in rush hour traffic on a Friday evening was not appealing.





60 miles later we arrive.

I arrived in time for the social time, where waiters passed hors d'oeuvre, which were grilled pineapple barbecue shrimp skewers. Also available were wines for our enjoyment. Then it was time for us to sit down and be served our dinner.




First we were served our salad. This artful presentation is a tabbouleh stuffed tomato salad with a shaved and folded slice of cucumber on top, with a small block of feta cheese and a drizzle of a pesto sauce and a pipette of lemon vinaigrette inserted in the tomato. Breadsmith rolls and butter accompanied our dinner.



The entree was Sauteed chicken breast with tomato and arugula salsa cruda on top of seared oregano polenta.
Ah, I see that some of you remember that I am allergic to chicken. Not to fear. The caterer had instructions to make one dinner "with no chicken product made with red snapper" instead.
The salsa cruda also contained slivers of shallots and was dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette.

The dessert was an ooey gooey toffee butter cake. What? There's no picture? Hmm, I guess someone was too eager to dive in and eat it. It was delicious. Rich and gooey, but absolutely delicious.
Thomas Caterer's of Distinction always does a wonderful job for us. Thank you for such a lovely dinner.
In contrast, my husband had to go across the street and buy his own dinner. Sometimes it's nice to be treated like a lady.

The Indianapolis Scottish Rite Cathedral at night.


And across the street is the Grand Lodge building of Indiana.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

The salad, with pipette, is ... interesting. It looks so laboratorial.
Also, I liked the night shots.