Sunday, April 6, 2008

Orchids - A Practical Lesson

A few weeks ago, I was asked a question about orchids and whether dying blooms also signalled the demise of the plant. Indeed, some orchids bloom for such long periods of time that it may seem that the flowers are a permanent fixture (for instance, this particular orchid had been blooming for over six months). So, now that I too am faced with the loss of these blooms on this orchid, I thought I would offer you the chance to actually see how to convince the orchid to quickly re-bloom. Please note that this method only works with Phalaeonopsis Orchids.



Here are the blooms of this particular Phal (or Moth) orchid. This picture was taken in October of last year. Since the orchid name was not provided, I have dubbed it 'Blushing Ladies'. I think that is appropriate.




And this is that same orchid in a picture taken this morning. Notice the stake and clips that secure the stalk.



The long oval leaves identifies this as being a Phal.



Well, look at this. Apparently the plant couldn't wait and began growing a new shoot off the old flowering stalk. The obvious choice here is to cut the stem at an angle just above the new growth. Had this not been present, I would have found a node (joint) that seemed alive and would have cut just before that.



And now we wait for the new stalk to grow and begin blooming.

Phals do not like to be wet all the time and benefit from allowing the soil to dry out between waterings. And if you see whitish-green roots above the soil, don't panic. Those are the aerial roots that allow the orchid to gain moisture from the air. As with many orchids, Phals are epiphytes (that is, they grow on other plants but do not damage the host plant), and these roots are vital to the health of the plant.

In addition, orchids seem to enjoy being pot-bound. A good orchid potting mix (bark and regular potting mix) is also essential. If you purchase an orchid that is potted with moss, please do yourself and your orchid a favor and re-pot it as soon as possible. I have found that the moss is either soaking wet or bone dry, neither of which is good for the plant.

Orchids grow naturally in dense canopies of trees and do not want nor need direct sunlight. While they enjoy bright light, the sun should never directly reach the plant or the leaves will be damaged and black spots will result. As most of my available window space is south facing, I keep my blinds down to filter the sunlight.

I do hope that you give these beautiful, low-care plants a chance.


1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Funny, I was just emailing you a few questions about orchids. Then went to check your blog and you answered all my questions. Weird.