Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring Salutations from Southern Indiana





But first, here's an update on my orchid's new stalk. This picture was taken 7 days after I first blogged its discovery.

And now, on with the show.


Flowering ornamental pear trees seem to be a favorite tree in our neighborhood. Unfortunately, many of these older trees are Bradford pears and storms and age will often destroy large sections of these shapely trees.


My Cleveland Select Pear trees are in bloom. This variety is an improved cultivar of the flowering pear.


Getting up close and personal with a pansy or two.



My Canada Red Chokeberry (Prunus Virginiana) tree is leafed out and is getting ready to bloom. Now, remember this picture, as you will be seeing pictures of these trees again. I promise, it will be worth the wait.






Yes, I am perfectly aware that this is a picture of a Christmas cactus and I also know that it is not that time of year, but apparently, my Christmas cactus doesn't know that. So just hush and enjoy the picture.



And yet another sign that spring is here. This is my first American tree frog sighting of the year. I adore my "Croakies." They frequently show up on both my front porch as well as our rear deck. In fact, it is wise to watch where you sit and if you are sitting at the table under the umbrella you might even be treated to falling frogs.

The past couple of years they have even been spawning in my water garden tub on the deck and we get to watch the tadpoles grow throughout the season. American tree frogs take three years to mature and tend to stay near the site of their spawning.


1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

The Christmas cactus picture is lovely.