Monday, September 26, 2011

Chinese Fortunes

Whenever I eat out at my favorite
Chinese restaurant, Sunny Palace,
the server always leaves a wrapped 
fortune cookie with my bill.

As is my habit, 
I break open the cookie,
eat half of it and read the fortune
before tucking it into my purse 
and paying the bill.

Thus,
I have quite a collection of these
little gems at home.
I thought I would share them with you.

But first, 
a history lesson on the humble fortune cookie.

The first fortune cookie was made in Kyoto, Japan
in the 1800s, but they were larger and 
the fortune was baked into the batter.

From there, it is believed that Japanese
immigrants brought the tradition of the 
fortune cookie over to the United States
and the first fortune cookies as we know them 
were made in San Fransisco in the 1890s or early 1900s.

So fortune cookies are not to be found in China,
but only in America.

And now you know.

I have divided the fortunes into four categories:
Wisdom,
Prophesy,
Life's Lessons
and
Odd (you'll understand in a bit).


Wisdom
People always know what they are saying, just never listen.

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.

Follow that restless urge to find yourself.

Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.

Love is like war; easy to begin but hard to stop.

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.
(I should be very successful by now!)
To remember is to understand.

Your deeds speak so much louder than another's words.

Recognition is the greatest motivator.

Use your natural versatility to keep from being bored.


Prophesy

Your present plans are going to succeed.

Versatility is one of your outstanding traits.



Life's Lessons

Life is about making some things happen,
not waiting for something to happen.

Try not to stand on your own side during an argument.

Nothing is a waste of time if you learn something from it.

The one who snores will always fall asleep first.
 (Isn't that the truth?)



Odd

Well, why not?
Admit it - you're intrigued.
(Someone was having fun with this one.)

Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
 (Plan to be spontaneous.
How does that work?
Does not compute.) 

Don't panic.
(This one is my favorite fortune.
It makes me want to look over my shoulder.
Why, what's back there?
Why shouldn't I be panicking?)


Happy Monday!



No comments: