Friday, August 6, 2010

Turkey Noodle Soup, Deconstructed


Every once in a while I try to clear

some of the older items out of the freezer.


I found a couple of small packages of turkey cutlets

lurking in there,

but even together,

they would not be enough to feed four people.


What to do?


Why not take a page from our Asian neighbors

and use the meat as an accent, rather than the star?


But I would have to stick to American flavors as

the husband does not care for Asian foods.


After a bit more thought,

I came up with the idea for a deconstructed

turkey noodle soup.







Fast forward to the finished meal.


Tell me this doesn't look good.




I roasted some frozen carrots, green beans

(hey, I had a coupon for two bags of frozen veggies)

and corn* along with

some diced onion and chopped fully-cooked bacon.

These roasted about 30 minutes at 400 degrees

in the toaster oven.



*Remember, I was cleaning out my freezer.




I cut the turkey cutlet into chunks

and after seasoning with salt and black pepper,

I lightly coated each piece in flour.


These sat in the refrigerator for an hour or so before cooking

so that the coating would properly adhere to the meat.






Meanwhile,

a package of noodles cooked in some turkey stock and water

seasoned with kosher salt.

Cook according to package directions.





After 30 minutes the veggies are ready for plating.





I have to say that this worked out nicely.



We didn't even miss having more meat on the plate.



Next time I would add some butter to the noodles,

rather than just rely on the stock.



Not bad for a first attempt.


No comments: