Friday, July 11, 2008


A Walk in the Daylily Fields

Our Master Gardener group had the opportunity to tour a nearby private garden filled with daylilies. How many, you ask? Even the owners aren't sure, but the number 3,000 did come up at one point. The owner started with just a few daylilies ten years ago and began to cross-pollinate some and save the seeds from those plants. The owners have never bothered to try to name any of these new varieties and apparently they only do this for the love of daylilies. Daylilies are of the genus Hemerocallis. As the name suggests, each bloom lasts for only one day.

Now, given that we were out in the middle of nowhere, according to my cell phone (despite the promise of more bars in more places tm), there was nothing to do but to wander about the huge beds of daylilies and admire the subtle differences between the blooms.

So walk along with me and enjoy. And lucky you - you don't have to swat at the bugs or sweat in the sun.





Now you must understand: no one picture could possibly convey the sheer size of this place. I had to risk life and limb to climb a hill just so I could get this photo for you. The lengths I go to for my faithful readers...



These beds go on forever (or at least to the edge of the property).








If you are missing any hummingbirds, they are hanging out around these many feeders. The owners can sit on their front porch and watch the little creatures flit around in search of food.



Believe it or not, this is one of the smaller beds.



Now, on to some of the individual flowers.















Can you tell that I love pink flowers?



Oh wait, here are some other colors.






While my fellow Master Gardeners picked out plants to purchase and take home, I contented myself with leaving with just photographs. I had no desire to bring home more deer food. And unless I also wanted to take home the owners' ten foot tall electrified deer fence (oh, my neighbors would love that - not!), that is exactly what would happen to the flowers.


Oh well, at least these photographs will always be beautiful.

No comments: