Friday, July 25, 2008

Dinner, Interrupted

Now, how did that happen? This dinner was originally meant to be cooked over the course of one day, but only after I had started the long process of cooking the meat did I find out that my husband would not be home for dinner that night. Hmm, on to plan B, then. So I seasoned the pork roast with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. I sauteed the pork roast in olive oil before placing the pork roast with onion, garlic and vegetable stock in the slow-cooker. As the game has now changed, I turned the heat down to low and let it cook away happily all day.



I started this pork roast before I learned that my husband wouldn't be home for dinner.



Later that evening, I pulled the thoroughly cooked pork roast out and prepared to shred it.



I chose to use two serving forks to shred the pork this time. Tedious, but the pork is now ready to become shredded pork barbecue.



Now, you weren't going to throw the vegetable stock out, were you? I pulled the onion and garlic out and set that aside for later. I put the pan on the stove top and began simmering the liquid while I prepared the remaining ingredients for the barbecue sauce.



As I was winging it, I really wasn't sure what ingredients I would use. Let's see: I started out with molasses, Worcestershire Sauce, catsup, soy sauce, bottled barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, hot sauce, apple cider vinegar, whole grain mustard and brown sugar.


At this point, I played 'mad scientist' and added the ingredients to the simmering stock and tasted until I was happy with the results.


Remember the onion and garlic? I couldn't let them go to waste, but first they needed to be chopped.



And now the finely chopped cooked onion and garlic can go back into the sauce.



Now you know it's coming... Can't you just see all the flavors? Well, I did warn you.



And the sauce meets the pork.



Sadly, this will now be covered and set aside until tomorrow.



Oh, look. It's tomorrow already. About an hour before I anticipate dinner being served, I put the pork barbecue in a 350 degree oven.








I decided to make mashed potatoes for dinner. And as you can see from the above picture, I also decided to make sweet mashed potatoes.

Either boil or microwave the cut potatoes in salted water until tender.

And now we mash. Add the butter, milk and more salt and some black pepper. Mash until you have the desired texture.


I'd say this is ready. Since it's not quite dinner time yet, I put the lid on this dish and put it in the oven with the barbecue pork. At this point I turned the heat down to warm.


Now, on to the regular mashed potatoes. I used Yukon Gold potatoes.


First I mashed and then I got the hand mixer out. A food mill can also be used, but never use a food processor or you will end up with a gummy mess.

Now, I had just gotten to this point in my nice family dinner preparations when my dear daughter rushed out of the house yelling that she wouldn't be home for dinner tonight. Hmph, I think I will run out on dinner the next time.


I learned this recipe from my dear friend, Rosie Hawthorne. Thanks, Rosie!


As this dish comes together very quickly, I left it for last.

First I saute the chopped onion in a bit of olive oil.


Add the frozen green peas and cook until just warmed through.


Finally I add the sliced Napa cabbage and again just cook until warmed. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.


Well, what do you know? I guess sometimes a good meal can come out of last minute changes. In case you were wondering, I like to mix my sweet mashed potatoes in with my mashed potatoes.

No comments: