Saturday, June 4, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms

I had some Crimini mushrooms left over from when
I had made Beef Stroganoff a week or so ago.

I decided to make some Stuffed Mushrooms for
Sunday lunch.

As usual, I couldn't decide on one recipe,
so I once again mashed recipes.

Oh, don't be surprised.
You should be used to that by now.



I started with this recipe from Epicurious
and changed it to this:

1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon pepper
10 large Crimini mushrooms
1 breakfast sausage patty
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 ribs celery, minced
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
1/4 cup Queso Fresco, crumbled
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped


Cook the sausage patty and crumble it as it cooks.
As it cooks, Add the onion, celery and the garlic.

Add the Panko bread crumbs, the oregano, the cheeses,
1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, parsley and the oil in a
mixing bowl.

Once the sausage mixture has cooked and cooled,
add it to the Panko bread crumb mixture and stir
to combine.


Meanwhile, pull the stems from the caps and save the stems
for another recipe (they can be used in stocks or soups).
Place the caps, stemmed side down on a baking sheet
and bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes until
the mushrooms exude liquid.

Remove from the oven and turn over so they can be stuffed.



I need to work on my stuffing skills.

These go back in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.

I had some stuffing left over for another dish.
I put that in a container and popped that in the freezer.


This was a nice, unexpected departure from the usual
lunch.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Looks good. I haven't had stuffed shrooms for a while. Now I got a hankerin'.

My hankerin' turns to crab meat stuffed shrooms.

Marilyn said...

Actually, shrimp stuffed 'shrooms was the first thought I had, but one of our diners is allergic to shrimp and crabs. Pfft.