Friday, November 5, 2010

The Foodies Travel to Afghanistan


- without a Passport






The Foodie Daughter and I made our next stop on



our culinary tour around the world.






This time we traveled to Afghanistan.













Samira Restaurant is a highly rated restaurant in B-town.









While they have an extensive dinner menu,



they also have a rather nice lunch buffet.





Please forgive the blurred picture,

but the Foodie Daughter had a migraine and needed to

eat ASAP,

so I tried to take the picture as quickly as possible.

She picked fragrant basmati rice, fried chicken thigh,

meatballs in a spicy sauce,

a flavorful mix of tomatoes,

green bell peppers, red onions, perhaps some cucumber,

cilantro and other seasonings

and a salad.



I chose the meatballs and sauce, basmati rice,

the flavorful veggie dish

(I need to figure out the name of that dish),

brown basmati rice with slivered carrots and raisins

and a yam and black bean curry dish.


Please note that I don't normally like black beans,

but I liked this dish - a lot.


In fact, there was a lot I liked about this meal.





Hummus on toast was presented to us.


I loved this dish.






We also had some flat bread.



The only thing that could have made this better is if we

had had some good olive oil in which to dip the bread.





But the piece de resistance?




The baklava.



I have had baklava at another restaurant in B-town before.



There was no contest.



This baklava wins.

Hands down.



The Foodie Daughter and I wanted to lick the plate clean.



It was just that good.




1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

That looks really good. You're lucky to have so many ethnic restaurants in B-Town.