Saturday, March 6, 2010

Char Siu, Revisited
If you recall, I have been on a quest to replicate
one of my favorite Chinese dishes, Char Siu,
or Chinese Barbecue Pork.
The first try resulted in moist, flavorful pork,
but it lacked the char that I desired.
I vowed to try, try again.


And that is exactly what it took:
two more tries to get just what I was looking for.

Char Siu, accompanied by stir-fried carrots,

sugar snap peas, yellow bell pepper,

onion and celery

and tossed with Udon noodles.


I am cleaning out my freezer,
so I pulled out a package of boneless pork country ribs
and used that along with the pork shoulder blade steak.
The remaining ingredients are
1/3 cup tamari,
3 tablespoons sherry,
2 tablespoons honey,
1/4 teaspoon Chinese Five Spices,
2 tablespoons brown sugar,
1 teaspoon red food coloring,
1 scallion, halved lengthwise
2 cloves garlic, grated.


The marinade/sauce ingredients were mixed
before half the sauce was poured over the trimmed pork
and sealed in a zip-top bag.
The remaining sauce was set aside
to baste the meat as it cooked.
We have decided that it is best to leave a bit of fat on
the pork, as it makes for a more tender
and flavorful dish.


This marinated in the fridge for 24 hours.



Once again I lined a roasting pan with aluminum foil
for easy clean-up.

I then added about 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the pan
before placing the rack and the meat on top.

I basted the meat with the reserved sauce several times
throughout the cooking process.

The pork roasted in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
I then turned to oven up to 425 degrees and
continued roasting the pork for another 15 minutes.





Slightly sweet, moist and tender Char Siu feeds the soul.


Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork)

Tender and moist, this pork also gains a bit of ...

See Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork) on Key Ingredient.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Looks delicious. Thanks for all your attempts.