Saturday, February 20, 2010

Winter at the Lake


Since we seem to have an abundance of snow,

I thought I would share some pictures with you.
I know how much some of you* love the snow.
*And you know who you are.









The snow has been melting,
creating icicles.






Snow on the roof.







Check out the dropped icicles.



*


The sun was shining brightly Friday morning,

so I decided to take a detour on my way home from town.



Now those are some serious icicles.







I decided to drive down to the dam at Lake Monroe.

The U.S. Armu Corp of Engineers can't seem to decide

what our fair lake is called.

They alternate between calling it Monroe Lake and

Monroe Reservoir.

But what do they know?

We know that the real name is

Lake Monroe.




The dam at Lake Monroe.





The Overlook affords some nice views of the lake.







Then I decided to drive down to the dam.








The view from the dam.










Salt Creek below the dam.









Water flows from the dam.


Check out this old post to see what the flow looks like

during flood conditions.



Quite a difference.
This picture was taken in May of 2002.






Back to the present.
Patterns in the water.

















Salt Creek.















The Overlook is at the top of the hill in the center of the photo.








As I was already out,
I decided to drive over to Fairfax State Recreational Area
before heading home.
This time of year I don't have to pay to get in the gate.





Some of the larger boats stay in the water all winter.






Sailboats "parked" for the winter.
*
I hope you enjoyed our little jaunt.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I know how much some of you* love the snow.

*I know who I are, too.

Marilyn said...

Yes, I also know who you are.