Saturday, September 6, 2008

Moon Flower and Canna


Earlier this year I had received some moon flower seeds from my dear friend Rosie Hawthorne. She is an avid lover of this night-blooming flower and wanted to share this plant with me. I followed her directions to soak the seeds overnight before planting and then waited patiently. And waited, and waited. As it turns out, the moon flower is a slow germinating plant. Finally one of the seven seeds did begin to grow and the vine emerged from the pot. And now my patience has finally been rewarded.



It is late evening and the flower is opening.



Just a couple of hours later and the flower is open for business.

Moon flowers are pollinated by nocturnal moths. As with most night-pollinated flowers, the true moon flower is white.

The flower only lasts the one evening and wilts the next day.

Thank you so much, Rosie, for sharing this beautiful flower with me!


Looks a bit like a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.


Meanwhile, one of my cannas is sporting rather intriguing seed pods.


I like these almost as much as the flowers.