Saturday, September 6, 2008

Home Alone Again, Part II

Now, you would think that my family would know better by now, but apparently not. For, once again I have been left to my own devices. Let's see what mischief I can come up with in the kitchen today.


How about some Bananas Foster? That sounds like a plan to me.

Here I have some light rum, bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and unsweetened, unsalted butter.

Melt the butter and brown sugar and cinnamon in a pan. For one serving, I would use one tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.


Cut the banana into thirds and then lengthwise in half. Cook briefly in the melted sugar mixture.

Pour 3 tablespoons rum in a bowl or cup. Now you can pour the rum into the pan. If you are cooking over a live flame, remove the pan from the fire to prevent accidents.


Stand back and light the rum. Allow the flame to burn out before continuing. Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir to mix in.


Serve over vanilla ice cream. Rich and sweet and decadent.

That will teach my family to leave me home alone.



2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I guess you showed them.
HAH! Take that, Mr. P. and Daughter Dearest!

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I don't much like bananers, but I might have to try that. (Although I do like fried nanas.)